9.14.2012

Hope


Living with alcoholism taught me that it was best not to hope for anything. The lessons were too painful-! would get excited about something, only to have my hopes shattered. As time passed and hope diminished, I fell deeper into despair. Eventually I shut down my feelings and refused to care or to hope for anything at all.
 

Through  Al-Anon's Twelve Steps, I am discovering spirituality that allows me to believe that there is every reason to hope. With my Higher Power's help, regardless of my circumstances, I can feel fully alive in the moment and enjoy this feeling. The painful lessons of a lifetime are not unlearned overnight, but Al-Anon is helping me to learn that it is safe to feel, to hope, even to dream.
 

Today's Reminder
It is risky to care-I may be disappointed. But in trying to protect myself from pain, I could cut myself off from the many delights that life has to offer. I will live more fully today.
 

"Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul."

Samuel Ullman



No comments:

Post a Comment